About This Blog

This blog is to share with you some of the highlights of my visits to Hawaii and miscellaneous Hawaiiana. Hawai'i has had a great impact on my life. To see more on why I keep this blog, see: The Impact of Hawai'i in My Life.

Also, check out the Hawaiian Trivia Quiz.

7/14/17

Excerpt from "Huakaʻi: Journey Into Kalaua" (Coming Soon!)

The path from this point definitely became narrower as it began to hug the steep mountain slope. Fortunately, there were plenty of bushes and thick grasses to hang on to as I made my way toward the place of the falls. About half way there, Mayor’s guess about the trail proved correct as I came around a small bend of rock outcropping and came face to face with a couple of goats. Scared the living daylights outta me! Not them, however. The two goats just gave me what felt like a look of annoyance (if goats can do that), and then scrambled up the steep slope behind them.
Continuing on the trail, I was reminded of how I had read that many have attempted to find the Kalalau “back door” somewhere in these back-valley areas, to be able to climb out of or into the valley.  Known as “The Path of No Return”, some in this pursuit have fallen to their death, while others have become stranded on a ledge.
Stories have been written of men who crawled on their hands and knees along sharp ridges, leaping across wide gaps, grabbing onto the roots of ‘ohia trees, crawling straight up through fern and thickets of raspberries, getting scratched by all the thorns – all this to find an impossible route.
Nope. That’s not for me. This trek is hard enough... and much more important.

Further on the trail, after nearly losing my footing once, I began to hear the sound of falling water. This was my only indication to how far away I was on this part of the trail – a tall green ridge had separated me from my goal. Fortunately, the path wound its way around the ridge without getting much more precarious. Around the bend, the falls came into sight, only about 50 yards away.
What a gorgeous sight! From where I stood I could see the top of the lower falls about 25 feet above me, and then stretching my neck downwards, I watched as it cascaded down at least twice again that distance before hitting some rocks below. Above the top of this waterfall I could also see two other smaller falls coming down from way up. Although there was no sign yet of a third waterfall, the excitement began to build. This is it! It’s just got to be it!
Moving closer, I found that the path split in front of me. One path remained fairly level as it approached the waterfall, looking like it might possibly allow access behind the falls. The other path started up a steep slope and appeared to access the top of the falls. As cool as the first path looked, I chose the second one, hoping to find up there what I was looking for. Grabbing at plants and roots, I was able to pull myself up to a big rock near the top of the falls.

What lay before me there was absolutely stunning. Though not too large, a swirling pool adorned with thick, green foliage glistened in the late morning sun. Behind the pool, a sheer, green cliff wall provided a striking backdrop, decorated on either side with two beautiful, narrow cascades of frothy, white water. If you've ever dreamed of that perfect little tropical waterfall paradise, this was it. If Big Pool downstream that I had enjoyed soaking in yesterday was heavenly, this was even better. Words fail me in describing the beauty I had before me.


(This excerpt is from the forthcoming, soon to be published book by Ken R. Young, Huakaʻi: Journey Into Kalalau.)

All rights reserved.

No comments: