About This Blog

This blog is to share with you some of the highlights of my visits to Hawaii and miscellaneous Hawaiiana. Hawai'i has had a great impact on my life. To see more on why I keep this blog, see: The Impact of Hawai'i in My Life.

Also, check out the Hawaiian Trivia Quiz.

5/27/14

Great Quotes on Hawaii


The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean. - Mark Twain

Hawaii is a Paradise - and I can never cease proclaiming it; but I must append one word of qualification: Hawaii is a Paradise for the well-to-do. - Jack London

That peaceful land, that beautiful land, that far-off home of solitude and soft idleness, and repose, and dreams, where life is one long slumberous Sabbath, the climate one long summer day, and the good that die experience no change, for they but fall asleep in one heaven and wake up in another. - Mark Twain

What I have always longed for was the privilege of living forever away up on one of those mountains in the Sandwich [Hawaiian] Islands overlooking the sea.... no alien land in all the world has any deep strong charm for me but that one, no other land could so longingly and so beseechingly haunt me, sleeping and waking, through half a lifetime, as that one has done. Other things leave me, but it abides, other things change, but it remains the same... - Mark Twain

Hawaii is not a state of mind, but a state of grace. - Paul Theroux

I thought my book was done, then we went to Hawaii and the whole last chapter happened. - Mariel Hemingway

We need Hawaii just as much and a good deal more than we did California. It is Manifest Destiny. - William McKinley

In what other land save this one is the commonest form of greeting not 'Good day,' nor 'How d'ye do', but 'Love'? That greeting is 'Aloha': love, I love you, my love to you... It is a positive affirmation of the warmth of one's own heart-giving. - Jack London

Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i ka pono (The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness). – King Kamehameha III

Hawaii is still the single most frequent fantasy destination, not because of political stability or conveniences, but because Hawaii seduces the imagination.  It's the perfect postcard, no props, no fillers. - Robert Wintner, Snorkel Bob's Reality (& Get Down) Guide to Hawaii

Everywhere I went in the wild corners of Hawaii, I found that the biology was as astonishing as the beauty.  The landscapes have value beyond the enchantment of a waterfall or the surreal drama of an expanse of slick rock with bits of green life taking hold.  Exploring these islands intrigues the mind and stirs the imagination, for nature in Hawaii is at her most inventive and extravagant best. - Cynthia Russ Ramsay, Hawaii's Hidden Treasures

No comments: