About This Blog

This blog is to share with you some of the highlights of my visits to Hawaii and miscellaneous Hawaiiana. Hawai'i has had a great impact on my life. To see more on why I keep this blog, see: The Impact of Hawai'i in My Life.

Also, check out the Hawaiian Trivia Quiz.

12/29/08

May 2006 Trip to Oahu


This was a quick trip to Hawaii to pursue a couple of job opportunities. Since my first trip in 1980, I have dreamed of living in Hawaii. Nothing worked out job-wise, but I guess it opened my eyes a little more to the realities of living in Hawaii, and made me decide that perhaps I'd rather keep it as an escape place, a place to dream about and visit occasionally. Real life and its problems may be better situated elsewhere - then I can really enjoy Hawaii for the paradise it offers when I visit.

I am borrowing pictures to show places I enjoyed on this trip, since I didn't take any of my own.

The highlight was hiking to and enjoying Maunawili Falls. I cliff dove off the highest point, which I estimated to be 50-55 feet high. It was a heart-pounding thrill, which I wouldn't have done had I not witnessed a girl who was acting scared to jump off the much smaller ledge jump off the highest one. Plus, after making the slippery and challenging climb up to the jump spot, I didn't like the idea of slipping back down the slope. So I jumped with my heart in my throat - and survived. It felt like an accomplishment!




In between job interviews, I also enjoyed exploring the North Shore, the Turtle Bay resort, Yokohama Beach on the leeward side, Round Top drive, Waimanalo Beach, and moments of contemplation at the Laie Temple. It was a short and bittersweet trip (always sweet to enjoy Hawaii's wonders, yet bitter to swallow the realities of life and my wife's medical emergency at home).

No comments: