About This Blog

This blog is to share with you some of the highlights of my visits to Hawaii and miscellaneous Hawaiiana. Hawai'i has had a great impact on my life. To see more on why I keep this blog, see: The Impact of Hawai'i in My Life.

Also, check out the Hawaiian Trivia Quiz.

5/12/11

Take in a Luau

Should you take in a Luau?

Yes!

Going to Hawaii without attending a luau is like going to Orlando and not visiting a Disney Park, or visiting Salt Lake City and not seeing Temple Square. You should do it at least once. If done well, it offers you a glimpse into the history and culture of Polynesia.

That said, be careful in selecting one - some can be cheesy and too touristy. On Maui, there are two that I'd recommend: The Old Lahaina Luau - focuses mostly on Hawaiian culture, and the Feast at Lele - a more intimate luau with a smattering of all of the polynesian cultures.

My experience with luaus on Oahu is they're too cheesy. Other clubs, concerts, etc. might be the way to go in Waikiki. But, the best polynesian review, bar none, is found at the night show at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu's north shore. Their Ali'i Luau, however, is not as good, since they cram you in like cattle and have cheesy entertainment.

On Kauai, there are a couple of fairly good luaus - one at Smith's Tropical Gardens, and one at the Kaua'i Coconut Beach Resort. I have not been to nor am I familiar with any luaus on the Big Island.

No comments: